• Counter :
  • 6249
  • Date :
  • 2/1/2014

The Holy Shrine of Hazrat Abdul Azim Hassani (A.S): part1

the holy shrine of hazrat abdul azim hassani (a.s)

The holy shrine of Hazrat Abdul Azim Hassani (A.S) along with the sacred tombs of Hazrat Imamzadeh Hamzeh ibn Imam Musa al-Kazim (A.S) and Imamzadeh Taher ibn Imam Ali ibn Hussein (A.S) in Ray city has been one of the most famous sacred places and tourist attractions in Iran. Millions of the lovers of the Holy Ahl-ul-Bayt (house hold of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) from all parts of the world every year visit this holy shrine.

The Architecture and Buildings of the Holy Shrine

The holy shrine of Hazrat Abdul Azim(A.S) like the other great and well known shrines initially consisted of a burial chamber building but gradually during later centuries other buildings and appendices were added and this vast-complex-consisting of the holy shrines, mosques, and other related buildings such as the two tombs of Imamzadeh Hamzah(A.S)and Imamzadeh Taher(A.S) were created. They were renovated by Muhammad son of Zayd Daei Alavi in the mid-third century. The northern side was first renovated by Buwayhids and then was decorated by Majd-ul-Mulk Qummi.

The lower part of the holy shrine is quadrilateral(square) in shape with 8 metres on its each side and like other Seljukian buildings four sloping barrel vaults were created on the four corners forming an octagonal structure in the upper side. In this octagonal part sixteen sided small vaults were made in order to create a cupola (dome).

The interior of the dome is decorated with exquisite mirror works. The dome is completely covered with golden tiles. The dome was previously in conical shape and was modified on the orders of Shah Tahmasab Safavi(ruled 930-984A.H.). In the month of Muharram 944A.H. Shah Tahmasab Safavi ordered the building of the first portico of the holy shrine and the later Safavid monarchs constructed the main courtyard,a mosque in northern part, the veranda,Balasar Mosque and the Women's Mosque in the north-west of the holy shrine.

During the Qajar era between 1211-1250 A.H., the silver zarih was placed on the grave of Hazrat Abdul Azim(A.S) which was made by master craftsmen Ustad Ghulam Hussein Eglima and Haj Muhammad Sane'i Khatam. In the period between 1299 to1320(Solar Hijrah)during Qajar era glazed tile decoration, mirror works, installing decorated doors, inlaid works and renovation of the holy shrine and its buildings as well as the construction of towering minarets was carried out.

The oldest works found in the present building of the shrine are the bricks over the door which was made in Seljukian era by Majd al-Mulk Qummi in the years 495-498 A.H. With the existence Seljukian era works it can be concluded that the building of the holy burial chamber was built even before the fifth century hijrah and probably it was built in the period between the fourth and the fifth century hijrah.

The old door of the holy burial chamber was made in 945 A.H., and the iron door present in the chamber probably belongs to fifth century hijrah are the other historical works. The date of the building 945 A.H., is written in Thulth inscription on the mosaic tile in white color in a dark blue background decorated with colourful flowers and bushes of arabesque(Eslimi) pattern.

The building of the bazaar, the new courtyard, the chambers and balconies around the new courtyard, the grand mirror balcony and the two big shoe-keeping chambers around it, the Amin Sultan seminary building were built in the north-eastern side of the courtyard during the Qajar reign. Jerian garden was laid in the west of the holy shrine, Tuti garden in the west of the grand courtyard and finally the burial chamber building and the big dome of Imamzadeh Taher(A.S) and the basic changes in the shrine of Hazrat Abdul Azim(A.S) were also accomplished in the Qajar era.

The Imamzadeh Hamzah's tomb along with the shrine is approximately the same size as Hadrat Abdul Azim's holy shrine and is decorated with mirror works. The zarih made of silver was built in the Qajar period. The shrine consists of a big balcony in the eastern side and the Balasar Mosque is located the in south-west of Hazrat Abdul Azim's shrine and were built during the period of Shah Tahmasb Safavi. The main part of the grand courtyard was built in Naser al-Din Shah Qajar's era.

The buildings of the holy shrine of Imamzadeh Taher(A.S) was built during Muzaffar al-Din Shah Qajar's reign in 1320 A.H.,under the supervision of Zill ul-Sultan and the endeavours of Reza Quli Khan Siraj al-Mulk.

Source: shabestan.net


Other links:

Sayyid Abd al-Azim al-Hasani, One of the Greatest Defenders of Ahlul Bayt (A.S.): part 5

Sayyid Abd al-Azim al-Hasani, One of the Greatest Defenders of Ahlul Bayt (A.S.): part 6

Sayyid Abd al-Azim al-Hasani, One of the Greatest Defenders of Ahlul Bayt: part 7

  • Print

    Send to a friend

    Comment (0)