• Counter :
  • 506
  • Date :
  • 8/1/2010

Damp houses up nasal allergy risk

damp house

Children who live in damp, water-damaged houses are more vulnerable to be diagnosed with nasal allergies over the next six years, a new study suggests.

Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal passages, usually associated with congestion, sneezing, watery nasal discharge and itching of the nose and eyes.

While the condition is more commonly reported before the age of 30, its onset can occur at any age.

There is strong genetic predisposition to allergic rhinitis, the disease which commonly presents following exposure to pollen, dust, animal dander or mold.

According to the study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, allergic rhinitis is 55 percent more prevalent among children who live in homes with dampness or mold problems.

"Our study strengthens the evidence that exposure to indoor dampness increases the risk of developing allergic rhinitis," said lead researcher Jouni Jaakkola.

Dampness encourages the growth of dust mites and fungi and subsequently attracts cockroaches; all of which are well-known triggers for the inflammatory condition. Moisture may also boost the emission of certain chemicals from building materials, which may provoke inflammatory processes in the airways.

"In general, we should try to avoid dampness problems in homes and repair (damage) as soon as the problems appear," said Jaakkola, urging parents, particularly those who have a kid with any type of allergies, to be more careful in this regard.

Source: presstv.ir


Other links:

Too much sitting ups death risk

Cholesterol, depression linked to gender

  • Print

    Send to a friend

    Comment (0)