My Family"s Right Hand: Righteous Son or Daughter (Part 2)
Suppose that you"re still living with your parents and at the same time working to build your future. You need to help them financially, even if they insist that you keep your money for yourself or save it for the future or for the expenses of marriage.
You can help by paying even half of the phone bill or the electricity bill. You can buy the groceries every now and then. You can even bring some sweets or home accents as a sort of gift; this can make your parents very happy.
Let"s see the following give-and-take rule that Almighty Allah has stated in the Qur"an:
[Who is it that will lend unto Allah a goodly loan, so that He will multiply it to him manifold? And Allah straitens and enlarges, and you shall be returned to Him](Al-Baqarah 2:245).
If you follow this rule, you"ll get much more than you used to take, so you can spend and save at the same time. Be sure that as long as you spend money to please Allah by pleasing your parents and helping them, Allah will reward you both in this worldly life and in the hereafter.
Another way of giving a helping hand to your parents is doing the regular chores of cleaning, vacuuming, and the like, especially if you"re still living with them. Here are some of the tasks that you can do at home. You can ask your younger siblings for help, if you have any. This way you"ll do more work in a shorter time.
• Wash your own clothes and theirs, but be sure to use the right laundry detergent and water temperature.
• Tidy up both your room and theirs and make sure to put the sheets, blankets, and pillows in the right way on the beds.
• Use a suitable detergent to polish all glass and wood surfaces, such as the dining table, the dresser, and the coffee tables.
• Wash the dishes; this can be a very easy task if you have a dishwasher, but if you don"t, then use plastic gloves before you start.
• Vacuum some carpets and rugs; it"s one of the easiest tasks that don"t take much time.
• Sweep and mop the floors.
• Clean the bathroom; you can wash the sink, the bathtub, the toilet, and the mirror, and then change the towels.
• Put everything in its proper place.
Sometimes you may think that your parents don"t need your support just because they have a maid or someone who does the work needed in the household. However, your parents still need your emotional support. You can choose to open your heart and mind and talk about yourself, your work, and your dreams. In return, they will be more open with you and tell you more about themselves.
This can have a big impact on strengthening the family relations.
You can choose to be a mediator if something wrong happens between them. You can bridge the gap between your parents and strengthen their relationship. You can make plans for a romantic dinner or a trip only for both of them. You can even cook their best food and surprise them. Things like these can make your parents so close to each other and to you at the same time.
All of these tips can help you attain your parents" love, trust, and respect. Above all, when you please Almighty Allah by pleasing your parents, you will find yourself blessed in all aspects of your life.
By Mariam Al Moatassem Bellah
Freelance Writer - Egypt
The Home - A place Where Allah is Remembered
Marital Success and Happiness (part1)
Marital Success and Happiness (part2)
Why do we Dream? (part1)
Why do we Dream? (part2)