Quick Tips - for saving water in the home
Every day, there are many simple little things we can do around the house to save water, money and help the environment.
Take a look through the tips below for some clever shortcuts to savings.
• Checking for leaks in taps, pipes and dishwasher hoses is an easy way to reduce water wastage. Remember, one leaking tap can waste more than 2,000 litres a month.
• The most water efficient methods for cooking vegetables are microwaving, steaming or using a pressure cooker. You can also cut down on water loss by using tight lids on pots and simmering instead of boiling rapidly.
• Installing water efficient taps or tap aerators is a great, inexpensive way to cut your water usage without you even noticing.
• Put the plug in the sink when washing your hands instead of holding them under running water.
Thaw frozen foods before you need them or use the microwave instead of placing them under running water.
• Prevent taps from leaking by turning taps off lightly and replace washers as soon as they begin to leak.
• Automatic dishwashers can use up to 40 litres of water per load. By using a dishwasher with at least a 3 star/AAA rating1, you can get this figure down to 18 litres per load and still get the kind of sparkling clean dishes you"re used to.
• It"s best to wait until you have a full load in your dishwasher before using it. This saves water and energy, and reduces the amount of detergent entering the sewerage system.
• Keep a container of water in the fridge so that you won't need to run the water down the sink until it's cool enough to drink.
• Washing fruit and vegies in a half-filled sink instead of under running water is a great way to cut back on water wastage.
• Rinsing your dishes in a plugged sink rather than under a running tap saves water and is just as easy and effective.
• Use a sink strainer.
• Try to use phosphate-free, eco-friendly detergents and cleaning products - there's a great range to choose from these days and they're much better for our environment.
• Remember to regularly clean the lint filter on your washing machine.
• Most washing machines have a load adjustment button or dial, so try to set this to match the amount of washing you're doing. If your machine doesn't have a load adjustment function, try to wait until you have enough washing for a full load.
• Taking a 5 minute shower.
• To rinse your razor, run a little water into a plugged sink. Rinsing your razor under a running tap wastes lots of water.
• There's no need to leave the tap running while you brush your teeth. Simply wet your toothbrush before you begin and use a glass of water to rinse your mouth.
Other Related links:
Is the world headed for a food crisis?
Food crisis a tsunami for the poor
importance of water
Water Can Heal: Water and Headaches
Water and coughs and cold
Do we receive minerals from drinking water?
A new research by the consumer group Which? suggests that some computer keyboards contain more harmful bacteria than a toilet seat.
Impress your family and friends with some nice Iranian cooking, learn how to cook the most eaten food in Iran....Kabab Kobideh!!!Yummy!!!....
Compounds found in green tea may help ward off the neurological damage that can come with the breathing disorder sleep apnea, a new study hints....