Surat ar Roum The Romans
One of the important topics discussed in Sura ar¬Rum is the proof of the Creator present in the many wonders of creation around us. In ayats 20¬-25, and then ayats 46¬54 of the Sura, Allah talks about His signs present in the creation of the world and in human beings, in the wisdom behind the system running in the Universe, and the power and mercy of Allah so evident in the working of the world. There is an invitation to ponder over these signs, to gain a firm and undoubtful faith in the Creator.
Many people, however, reject these clear signs, and prefer to coninue in disbelief. Believers are sometimes affected by such skeptics, and may waver in their faith. Sura ar¬Rum ends by describing the fate of such skeptics on the day of Judgement, and warns believers not to be affected by them in the world.
This sura derives its name from the prophecy in the beginning of the sura that the Romans (who were Christians) would defeat the Persians (who were idol¬worshippers) in the near future. This was reassuring for the Muslims who had been taunted that the idol¬worshippers were gaining victory over those who believed in One God.
Recitation of sura ar¬Rum is highly recommended on Laylatul Qadr.
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
1. Alif Lam Meem.
2. The Romans have been defeated.
3. In a nearby land, but after being defeated, they shall
soon be victorious.
4. Whithin a few years; Allah's is the command before and after, and on that day the believers shall rejoice.
5. With the help of Allah. He helps whom He pleases,
and He is the Mighty, the Merciful.
6. (This is) the promise of Allah! Allah does not fail His promise, but most people do not know.
7. They know (only) the external appearance of the life of this world, while they are heedless of the Hereafter.
8. Why do they not reflect on themselves, that Allah did not create the heavens and the earth, and what is between them, except with the Truth, and (for) an appointed term? And surely, most people disbelieve in the meeting with their Lord.
9. Have they not travelled on the earth, and seen the end of those who were before them? They were stronger than them in might; they dug up the earth, and built on it, more than what these people have built; and there came to them their Messengers with clear signs and Allah would never treat them unjustly, but they were unjust to themselves.
10. Then evil was the end of those who did evil, for they denied the signs and mocked them.
11. Allah originates creation, then reproduces it, then to Him you shall be returned.
12. And on the day when the Hour shall come, the guilty shall be in despair.
13. They shall not have any intercessors among their associates (with God), and they shall deny their associates.
14. And on the day when the hour shall come, they shall be separated (into groups).
15. Then as to those who believed and did good deeds, they shall be made happy in the garden.
16. And as to those who disbelieved, and denied Our signs and the meeting of the hereafter, they shall be brought to the punishment.
17. So Glory be to God, when you enter the evening, and when you enter the morning.
18. For HIm is all Praise in the heavens and the earth, at night and when you enter midday.
19. He brings forth the living from the dead, and brings forth the dead from the living; and He gives life to the earth after its death, and thus shall you be brought forth.
20. From His signs is that He created you from dust, then lo! you are mortals, scatterd (on earth).
21. And from His signs is that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that you may find rest in them; and He placed love and mercy between you; surely in this are signs for a people who reflect.
22. And from His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variety of your languages and colors; surely in this are signs for the learned.
23. And from His signs is your sleeping by night and day, and your seeking of His grace; surely in this are signs for a people who would hear.
24. And from His signs is that He shows you the lightning, causing fear and hope; and He sends down water from the sky, and gives life with it to the earth; surely in this there are signs for a people who understand.
25. And from His signs is that the heaven and the earth stand firm by His command. Then when He calls you with a (single) call from out of the earth, lo! you shall come forth.
26. To Him belongs whosoever is in the heavens and the earth; all are obedient to Him.
27. He it is who originates creation, and then reproduces it,
and that is easy for Him; His are the exalted attributes
in the heavens and the earth, and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
28. He sets forth for you an example from yourselves; do you have, among those whom your right hands possess, partners in what We have provided for you, so that you are alike in it, you fear them as you fear each other? Thus do We make Our signs clear for a people who understand.
29. Nay! those who are unjust follow their vain desires without any knowledge, so who shall guide those whom Allah has allowed to stray? They shall not have any helpers.
30. Then set your face upright for religion, devoted to the truth; (following) the nature made by Allah in which He has made mankind; there is no altering in Allah's creation, that is the right religion, but most people do not know.
31. Turn(ing) towards Him, and fear Him, establish prayer and do not be from the polytheists.
32. (Do not be) from those who have split their religion, and have become sects; every party rejoices in what they have.
33. And when harm afflicts men, they call upon their Lord, turning to Him; then when He causes them to taste mercy from Him, lo! some of them associate partners with their lord.
34. That they may be ungrateful for what We have given them; but enjoy yourselves (for a while); soon you shall know.
35. Have We sent down an authority, so that it speaks of what they associate with Him?
36. When We make people taste of mercy, they rejoice in it, but if evil befalls them for what their hands have earned, lo! they are in despair.
37. Do they not see that Allah increaes His provision for whoever He wills, and straitens (for whoever He wills)? Surely in this there are signs for a people who believe.
38. Then give to the near of kin his due, and the needy, and the wayfarer; that is best for those who want the pleasure of Allah, and they are the successful ones.
39. Whatever you give out as interest so that it may increase in the wealth of the people, it shall not increase with Allah; and whatever you give in charity, wanting the pleasure of Allah, they shall receive a manifold increase.
40. Allah is He who created you, then provided for you, then will cause you to die, then bring you to life. Is there any of your associate ¬gods who does any of those things? Glory be to HIm, exalted is He above what they associate.
41. Corruption has appeared on the land and sea on account of what the hands of men have done, so that He may make them taste a part of what they have done, perhaps they may return (towards Him).
42. Say: Travel on the earth, and see how was the end of those who were before; most of them were polytheists.
43. Set your face upright for the right religion before there comes from Allah the day which cannot be averted; on that day they shall be separated.
44. Whoever disbelieves, then on him will be (the charge of) his disbelief; and whoever does good deeds, they are preparing for themselves.
45. So that He may reward those who believe and do good deeds, out of His grace, surely He does not love the disbelievers.
46. And from His signs is that He sends forth the winds bearing good news, that He may make you taste of His mercy; and that ships may sail by His command. and you should seek of His grace , and so that you may be grateful.
47. Indeed We sent before you, Messengers to their people, and they came to them with clear proofs Then We punished those who were guilty, and helping the believers is a duty on Us.
48. Allah it is, who sends forth the winds, so they raise a cloud, then He spreads it forth in the sky as He pleases, and causes it to break up so that you see the rain coming forth from inside it; then when He causes it to fall upon whom He pleases of His servants, lo! they rejoice
49. Though they were, before it was sent down upon them, in complete despair.
50. Look then at the traces of the mercy of Allah; how He gives life to the earth after its death, surely this (God) is the giver of life to the dead, and He has power over all things.
51. And if We send a wind, and they see it to be yellow, they remain after that, disbelieving.
52. Surely you cannot make the dead to hear, and you cannot make the deaf to hear the call, when they turn back and withdraw.
53. Nor can you lead the blind out of their error. You cannot make any to hear except he who believes in Our signs, and so they submit.
54. Allah it is who created you of weakness, then He gave strength after weakness, then gave weakness after strength, and grey hair; He creates whatever he will, and He is the all¬knowing, the Powerful.
55. On the day when the hour shall come, the guilty shall swear that they have not stayed for more than an hour; such was their lying.
56. Those who were given knowledge and faith will say: Indeed you stayed according to the Book of Allah, till the Day of Resurrection; so this is the Day of Resurrection, but you did not know.
57. But on that day, the excuse of those who were unjust, shall not profit them, nor will they be allowed to make amends.
58. Inded we have set forth for people every kind of example, in this Qur'an; but if you bring them a sign, those who disbelieve will say: You are nothing but false claimants.
59. Thus does Allah set a seal on the hearts of those who do not know.
60. So be patient; Surely the promise of Allah is the truth. Let not those who have no certainty make you unsteady.