• Black
  • White
  • Green
  • Blue
  • Red
  • Orange
  • Violet
  • Golden
  • Counter :
  • 3046
  • Date :
  • 9/28/2005

Alexandria University


Historical Background

In 1938, the nucleus of the Alexandria University had its beginning in the form of two satellite faculties of Fouad 1 University. These were the faculties of Arts and Law. The faculty of Engineering was then established in 1941.

In the light of the need for developing more disciplines for higher learning and with a view towards meeting the need of the people ofAlexandria, Alexandria University, formerly known as Farouk 1 University, became a separate entity in August 1942 with four additional faculties: Science, Commerce, Medicine and Agriculture.


Over the years, Alexandria University witnessed great development in its academic specialization and professional education. A number of institutional entities were established as follows:

. Faculty of Nursing, 1954 (formerly, High Institute of Nursing)

. Faculty of Pharmacy, 1956

. High Institute of Public Health, 1963

. Faculty of Education, 1969

. Faculty of Dentistry, 1971

. Medical Research Institute, 1971

. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 1974

. Institute of Graduate Studies & Research, 1983

. Faculty of Tourism and Hotels, 1983

Alexandria University supervised the establishment of four satellite faculties in the Nile Delta. Those were: Faculty of Medicine in 1962 and Faculties of Science, Education and Agriculture in 1969, which composed the nucleus of Tanta University.

AlexandriaUniversity extended its services to neighboring governorates by establishing of four satellite faculties in Damanhour:

. Faculty of Education, 1980

. Faculties of Arts, Agriculture and Commerce in 1983

In 1989, four faculties, located inAlexandria and administered by Helwan University, were annexed to Alexandria University. These are the faculties of Agriculture, Fine Arts, and Physical Education for boys and Physical Education for girls.

Another satellite faculty of Education was recently established in Marsa Matrouh city, in 1991.

In pursuit of enhancing academic cooperation between Arab Nations, the Arab University of Beirut was established and affiliated to Alexandria University in 1960.

  • Print

    Send to a friend

    Comment (0)

  • Most Read Articles