Chamran University of Ahvaz
After Shapur the First, the Sassanid King, conquered the Roman Emperor, commanded the Roman POWs to build a new town in a location that was 18 Kilometers south-East the present Dezful city. That town was named Veh-Andiv i Shapur, meaning “city of Shapur, better than Antakiyy-e”
. From the beginning, Veh-andiv was then called Gondi Shapur (meaning the city ofShapur)
, was a focal point for scientists and academics. Many of the Roman texts were transferred to Gondi Shapur and translated into Pahlavi language, and were kept in collections. In the 5th century A.D., a university and a hospital were established in Gondi Shapur that were functional up to 3rd century A.H. In these institutions scientists and medical practitioners cultivated and used experiences of different nations likeIranian, Indian, Greek, and Alexandrian
medicine. In Anoushirvan’s reign, research activities were fostered in Gondi Shapur and the city gained fame in those days world.Medicine, Philosophy, Mathematics, Theology, Music, Political sciences and Agriculture were among branches of learning dealt with inGondishapur University.
It is said that many scientists from Iranian and Indian nationalities were employed there. Some medical texts were translated into Pahlavi and were taught in university. These books were then translated into Arabic in later times. Crusaders then took these books toEurope, where they were translated again into Latin, and then, in 15th to 20th century, into French and English to be taught partly in European universities. In Gondi Shapur Hospital Iranian, Indian and Greek medical treatments were applied, and it is said that the first medical symposium was held there in 550 A.D.
By the fall of Sassanid dynasty,GondiShapurUniversity and Hospital lost their financial support. Later on, by establishment of a new hospital in Baghdad, the academics and practitioners immigrated toBaghdad from Gondi Shapur. Therefore, the ancientGondiShapurUniversity was defunct after four centuries of superb performance.
After 15 centuries, in 1955 (1334 A. H.), the first nucleus of rebirth of Gondi Shapur University in the modern era was set by establishment of acollege of Agriculture in Ahvaz. This college grew up to be one of the most important institutions of its kind in the country. Other colleges and schools were established thereafter, and the university, now namedJondiShapurUniversity, expanded rapidly. In 1969 theSchool ofAgriculture was recognized as the best school of its kind inMiddle East countries.
By the victory of Islamic Revolution in Iran, in 1979, a new era was started in the country. Embarking of the war between Iraq and Iran immediately after revolution and the succeeding turbulent conditions affected the general stability of the university. In 1982 the university was renamed after martyrdom of Dr. Chamran
, the date commander in chief of a group of a guerrilla battalion that was based inJundiShapurUniversity campus. The university was closed in those days due to war conditions in the area.
The Present SCUA
The main campus of the present Shahid Chamran University (SCU) is now located in South-West of Ahvaz, the capital city ofKhuzestan province. The whole campus area is 176 acres and houses the central administration buildings and 10 faculties, plus other buildings such as the Central Library, Sports complex, Office of Publications and Printing, Office of Motoring, Office of Constructional Projects, Office of Green Environment and the Office of Watch Guard, two banks, a shopping centre, a kindergarten, two excellent school and high school for children, and a well equipped Golestan hospital. The peaceful atmosphere of the campus belies the full range of activities including cultural and sport tenements going on that complement academic life. Faculties: Agriculture Dezful (Engineering School) Economics and Social Science Education and Psychology Engineering Literature Physical Education Ramin (Agriculture School) Science Theology and Islamic Studies Agriculture
College of Agriculture began its academic activities in Mullasani (Ramin) district, 40km north east of Ahvaz, in 1956.
In 1974, the College began its academic program in new building in the main campus of Shahid-Chamran University which is located in Golestan region ofAhvaz.
At that time, the college of agriculture offered four undergraduate programs in Irrigation, Horticulture, Soil Science and Agronomy.
Since then this college has been continuously expand its academic activity in both quantity and quality terms. At present the college offering six undergraduate and graduate (M.Sc) programs in Irrigation, Horticulture, Soil Science, Plant Pathology, Agronomy and Farm Machinery. The college also offers four programs in Ph.D. level in the area of Irrigation Structures, Irrigation and Drainage, Hydrology and Entomology.
From the research point of view, the academic members of college have been involved in conducting many research projects related to their fields.
. Persian =9986
. English =10096
. Persian =55
. English =352
. For Graduate Students:
. Pentium 4 =12
. Printers =2
. Scanner =1
. For Undergraduate Students:
. Pentium 2 & 3 & 4 =30
. Printers =5
. Scanners =3
Research Meterology Station
. Research Farm
. Conference Hall (capacity of 250 seats)
. Audio-Visual Center
There are various well-equipped laboratories in each department. These laboratories are available for education or research. A list of these Labs can be found in each department page.Dezful (Engineering School)
This school was established in 1976, however, it was in 1979 that with an academic board of 11 lecturers, announced ready for admission of students in Civil Engineering, Mechanics, and Electrical Engineering. However, due to embark of war between Iraq and Iran, and hostilities of war conditions in the region, educational programs did not actually commence until 1987. In this year, admission of students started in a two-year Post-Diploma program in Civil Engineering. Five years later, a second two-year program was permitted to admit students in Mechanical Engineering. In 1995, permission was granted by the Ministry of Culture and Higher Education for establishment of another two-year program in Architecture. Two programs of “Construction” and “Water Engineering” commenced in 1995 within Civil Engineering Department. An undergraduate program leading to BSc. in Architecture was established in the academic year 2001-2002.
A library and 19 different laboratories and workshops are parts of the educational facilities available in Dezful Branch.
. Civil Engineering
. Construction General affairs Economics and Social Science
The school was established in 1974. At present time, School of Economics and Social Sciences consists of five departments of Economics, Management, Accounting, Social Science, and Law. Currently, with 1014 enrolments, the school has 39 academic staff. . Following programs are offered in this school: Departments
Social Sciences Education and Psychology
Department of Consultation
Department of Educational Science
Department of Library & Information Science
Department of Psychology Engineering
Duration : 4 years (8 Semesters)
Micro Electronics & VLSI Design
Duration : 2-2.5 years
Mechanical Engineering Departments
Mechanical Engineering Literature Departments
Farsi Mathematical and Computer Science Departments
Statistics Physical Education
Faculty of physical Education and sport sciences began its academic activities in the main campus ofShahid Chamran University located in Golestan region of Ahwaz in 1977.
The Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences offered undergraduate program in physical Education as well as leisure time activation for all universities’ student.
Since then this Faculty has been continuously expand its academic activities in both quantity and quality terms. At present, 2004, the Faculty offering undergraduate (B.A, B.S) and graduate (M.SC, M.A) in physical Education. Departments
Department of Sport Physiology
Department of Sport Psychology
Department of administration and curriculum Facilities
The educational and athletic facilities of this faculty are located in the main campus ofChamran University. The faculty consists of office building, classes, library, archive, information services, Computer center, Seminar room, specialized laboratory for sport physiology, sport psychology and corrective activities, audio-visual center, photocopying services and buffet.
The Sports complex of this faculty is one the biggest complexes among all universities. This complex consists of the following facilities:
• 2 main separated stadiums for men and women with track and field facilities and audience stations.
• 3 indoor halls for Volleyball, Basketball, Handball, Gymnastic, football, Badminton and Physical fitness activities.
• 3 Standard football fields.
• 2 mini football fields.
• Outdoor Swimming Pool.
• Indoor Swimming Pool ( under construction)
• 2 Tennis courts (5 other tennis courts are under constructions)
• Table Tennis hall.
• Outdoor facilities for Volleyball , Basketball, and handball.
Physical fitness and weight lifting hall.Ramin (Agriculture School)
Ramin Agriculturaland Natural Resource higher Educational Complex constituted, in 1336 (1957) in Mollasani in 530 hectare area. This old complex with more than 40 years records of service in education and research now is active in courses such as extension and education of agriculture, agronomy and plant breeding, food technology, animal science, agriculture machinery, in Bachelor of Science (B.C), Master of Science (M.S) and doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.), levels. Also, Ramin agricultural research center is the only one in west and west south part of country which has started to work with investigation interests and research in various field of agriculture.
Agricultural Extension and Education Department
Agricultural Machinery Department
Animal Science Department
Food Science and Technology Department
Agricultural Research Center
Animal husbandry investigational station
Rostami Zoology Museum Science
Physics Theology and Islamic Studies
The school was established in 1978. At present time, with 628 students and 21 academic staff, theSchool of Theology and Islamic Knowledge consists of three departments of Qura'nic Sciences and Hadith, Islamic Legislation, and Arabic Literature and Language. Four programs are actively offered in the three departments, and the school is equipped with a
Language Laboratory and a Computer Center.
Qur'an & Hadith Sciences
Theology & Islamic Sciences