Palestine Polytechnic University (PPU) http://www.ppu.edu/index.htm
Palestine Polytechnic University (PPU) is one of the leading polytechnic universities in Palestine. It was founded in 1978 by the University Graduates Union (UGU), which is a non-profit organization inHebron district(Hebron, called in Arabic "Al Khalil" or "Khalil arrahman," meaning "the Friend" or "the friend of the Merciful (Alla)," is one of the biggest Palestinian cities in terms of area and population. Located in the southern part of the West Bank).
The primary mission is to emphasize quality vocational and technical engineering education. This is achieved by providing students with practical knowledge to help them acquire an up-to-date experience directly related to their disciplines.
In addition to the two-year diploma degree, PPU has been offering a B.Sc. degree in a number of engineering programs since 1990.
PPU is officially recognized by the Palestinian Ministry of Higher Education and it is an active member in the Rector Conference of Palestinian Universities.
There are over 2400 students enrolled in the various areas of specialization at PPU during the academic year 2002-2003.
PPU dedicates particular attention and commitment to enhance its relationship with the local community by identifying potential community priorities and needs. To this end, it promotes certain diverse services, strategies and programs to meet these priorities and needs.
PPU has four main colleges. These colleges offer the following programs:College of Engineering and Technology
Offering five-year programs leading to a B.Sc. degree in engineering in
· Automotive Engineering
· Mechatronics Engineering
· Computer Systems Engineering
· Industrial Automation Engineering
· Biomedical Engineering
· Building Engineering
· Surveying EngineeringCollege of Administrative Science and Informatics
Offering four-year programs leading to a B.Sc. degree in:
· Information Systems
· Contemporary Business Administration
· Information TechnologyCollege of Applied Science
Offering a four-year program leading to a B.Sc. degree in science in:
· Applied Math Program
· Applied Electronics Program
· Computer Science Program
· Environmental PhysicsCollege of Applied Professions
Offering a two-year program leading to an associate degree in a wide range of areas and specialization in:
· Department of Engineering Professions
· Department of Administration & ComputerPPU Continuous Professional Education:
PPU is committed to the principle that learning is a life long process. PPU also believes that its activities make a direct contribution to the economic well-being of the Palestinian people, particularly in Hebron district. Depending on the infra structure of the PPU, and professional staff available, PPU offers opportunities for all ages to participate in credit and non credit professional training courses and personal enhancement programs through the following centers and departments. Continuous Education Cisco local Academy Center of ExcellenceCompuiting Introduction
The Palestine Polytechnic University's “Computer and Information Technology Center” (CITC) is tasked to provide our staff, students and the local community, with an up-to-date computing and networking services.
CITC is committed to improve the university's information technology and the computing facilities available on campuses. This is achieved by enabling users to get their work done with a minimum difficulty due to the tools and technologies we provide and support through this center.
The CITC networks, equipment and computing resources are provided primarily to support the academic and administrative functions of the university. Training and increasing awareness of the community, staff, and students is one of the most important tasks of CITC. This has been achieved by establishing high professional training centers like the Information Technology Center (ITC), Cisco Local Academy and Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
The Computer Center is open from8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Saturday through Thursday.CITC Mission
CITC is a service unit, which provides computing facilities in support of research, education, training, and administration. One of its main tasks is to run a smoothly functioning campus network spread over several locations for 24 hours every day. It is also provides access to computational services and to worldwide academic communications through Internet. Another important task is to manage a highly qualified training and business centers like theInformation Technology Center
and theCisco Local Academy
to promote the growth of IT industry inPalestine.CITC Goals
The CITC aims at promoting IT industry inPalestine. This goal is achieved through a number of strategies that include:
· Providing PPU colleges with access to the latest computer technologies. These are maintained and developed in a sustainable manner according to the needs of these colleges.
· Developing IT labs to be utilized in research and design, using the latest IT techniques.
· Creating and enhancing an appropriate infrastructure space, equipment, software, and well-trained staff for technology-enhanced teaching and learning.
· Providing academic information services for students and faculty.
· Providing students with a productive learning-teaching environment that ensures their attainment of “technology literacy” upon graduation from PPU.
· Developing appropriate operating systems to meet the requirements of the academic, financial, and administrative departments of the university.
· Providing internet services to the administration, academics, staff, students, as well as the public.
· Setting up internet pages and websites for the academic, public and private sectors, including educational institutions and independent businesses.
· Providing greater access to web-enabled information services through the internet allowing students to access huge information resources from inside the university network, and through remote dial-up access to the university information systems and internet.
· Training and increasing awareness of the community, staff, and students through establishing highly professional training and business centers like the Information Technology Center, GIS, and Cisco Local Academy.
· Maintaining the contentious maintenance and development of the PPU's web page and online information systems.
· Analyzing, designing, and implementing quality central information systems which support institutional and administrative functionality and decision-making. Future Plans
· Creating an information bank containing all relevant information about PPU, its employees, students, and its educational programs.
· Setting up a database that includes research conducted by PPU students and staff. This database would be accessible by other research centers inPalestine and the world.
· Establishing a database that includes all books, journals, and other educational materials currently available at PPU's library
· Subscripting to professional magazines and newsletters to keep students and instructors abreast with the latest developments in the IT field.
· Forming a highly qualified team of instructors to provide training courses to employees and students in the IT field. Such training is normally provided in coordination with the Continuing Education Department. LibrariesHistorical Background
The University Graduates Union (UGU
) established the first public library inHebron in 1955. This library became the major PPU library in 1978, when PPU was first established.
The Library Collection
The administration of the university gives considerable attention to provide the library with the latest books and printed material, especially those to be used as textbooks. The library contains more than 25000 books and references in the fields of engineering, hi-tech, administration and technology. About 7500 of the books and references are in English and 17500 in Arabic.
Additionally, the libraries have more than 100 subscriptions in specialized scientific and engineering magazines and journals published in English and Arabic. The availability of all specialized CD’s in the technical fields is a privilege to our library and distinguishes it from other libraries in the region.