University of Ibadan http://www.ui.edu.ng/index.htmA BRIEF HISTORY
TheUniversity College, Ibadan, was founded in 1948. At first, it occupied the old site previously used by the 56th Military General Hospital about eight kilometers away from the 'new' or permanent site. The new site covered over 1,032 hectares of land generously leased by the chiefs and people of Ibadan for 999 years. With equipment transferred fromYabaHigherCollege, the 104 foundation students (including 49 students in teacher training and survey courses) began their courses atIbadan, on 18 January, 1948; the formal opening took place on 25 March, 1948. In February, 1948, London University allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. Arthur Creech Jones, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and an influential member of the Elliot Commission, turned the first sod at the permanent site of theUniversity College, on 17 November, 1948, which became the Foundation Day.
For the foundation medical students, the facilities provided in 1948, by the Native Administration Hospital at Adeoyo and the Government Jericho Hospital, for which the Faculty of Medicine was responsible, were inadequate. Consequently, medical students of the earlier years went toLondonUniversity for clinical training. To provide more satisfactory clinical facilities at Ibadan, the Nigerian government made available funds for the building of the 500-bed University Teaching Hospital, completed in 1957. Thereafter medical students were fully trained in Ibadan. The first batch graduated in 1960.
With the expansion of facilities at Ibadan, the number of students offered admission increased. In the 1958-59 sessions, UCI for the first time had a little over 1,000 students; in 1963-64, the figure exceeded 2,000; and tipped the 3,000 mark in 1968-69. The figure for 1972-73 was 4,100, and for 1974-75 and 1975-76, 5,639 and 7,375 respectively. Some of these students included those at the Jos Campus which began with an enrolment of 101 in the 1971-72 sessions. In the 1973-74 sessions, the Jos Campus had 326 students, most of who were prepared for courses in the Faculty of Arts. In the 1975-76 sessions, the number of students at Jos increased to 550.
On25 September, 1975, however, the government announced the creation of aUniversity ofJos, and in consequence, arrangements were made to transfer second-year students there to Ibadan and to hand over the campus at the end of the 1975-76 sessions. The government also announced the setting up of a newUniversityCollege at Ilorin, to be affiliated to the University of Ibadan. In 1976-77, the total number of students at theUniversity ofIbadan was 8,586, in 1977-78, the total was 8,865 and in 1984-85, the total was 13,862, and rising in 1986-96 to 18,690. The total number of students in the University during the 1996/97 session was 20,434. These are undergoing various courses on a full time basis. There are 851 part-time students. A breakdown by gender revealed that about one-third of the full-time students were female; 13,520 male and 6914 female. It should be noted that the above figures did not include students under the Centre for External Studies (CES) program and those in the affiliated colleges.
The Federal Government's grant of N29, 031,000 for the 1977-78 sessions proved most inadequate for the effective running of the University. It was impossible to make any new scholarship awards to postgraduate students. No research grants could be made to any staff. The University's staff development program had to be suspended. Work on all buildings, students and staff accommodation as well as office and classroom blocks, grounded to a halt. Much-needed teaching and research equipment could not be bought. It is clear that given the financial realities of the country, the University would have to re-order its priorities. More importantly, it is also clear that the University has to take vigorous steps to solicit financial aid from well-meaning Nigerians and other friends. The challenge before Ibadan is that of selling its programs to the Nigerian public, and hoping that those programs will be so well designed as to win the sympathy and support of the public.
TheUniversity College in 1948-49 had three Faculties: Arts, Science and Medicine. Today, there are the College of Medicine and nine faculties: Arts, Science, Agriculture and Forestry, the Social Sciences, Education, Veterinary Medicine, Technology, and Law. In 2002, Faculties of Public Health and Dentistry
The academic wings of the University include the Library, theInstitute ofAfrican Studies, the Institute of Child Health, the Computing Centre, the University Press, the Ibarapa Community Health Project, the Behavioural Sciences Research Unit, and the Schlumberger Learning Centre. The Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), financed by the Federal Government, maintained a special link with this University whose council appointed its staff on terms of service similar to those enjoyed by staff of this University. The link was formally severed by Decree No. 70 of 1977. NISER has since moved out of the University Campus to its own permanent buildings on theOyo Road and operates as a full-fledged Research Institute.
Ibadan’s first Chancellor was the late Alhaji, the Rt. Hon. Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, P.C., K.B.E, the first Prime Minister of the Independent Nigeria who died in the military coup of January 1966. His successor in office was Sir Kashim Ibrahim, G.C.O.N, K.C.M.G., C.B.E., Hon LL.D. (Ibadan), one of the most respected public figures in Nigeria, who served as the Chancellor for nearly a decade before the was appointed the Chancellor of the University of Lagos, in 1975. The next Chancellor, who was inducted on 24 April, 1976, was His Highness, Alhaji Ado Bayero, C.F.R.., Hon. LL.D. (Nigeria), Hon. LL.D. (Ibadan), the Emir of Kano. He was succeeded on 1 September, 1984 by His Highness, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, C.F.R., B.A. (Cantab), Hon. LL.D. (Ibadan), Hon. LL.D. (Zaria), Oba of Benin. The Chancellor was inducted on 17 November, 1984. Thereafter, His Royal Highness Orchivirigh Alfred Akawe Torkula, Tor Tiv IV, was inducted on 17 November 1994. All of these men have served Ibadan with great devotion and commitment and brought great dignity to our annual Foundation Day Ceremonies. In moments of crisis, the University has profited immensely from their wealth of experience and the high regard in which they are held by the public and those at the helm of affairs. The current Chancellor, and for the second time, is His Highness, Alhaji Ado Bayero, C.F.R., the Emir of Kano. He was installed on 17 November, 2001.FACULTIES
Agriculture and Forestry
Basic Medical Sciences
Veterinary Medicine UNITS
Careers Placement and Counselling Unit
Foreign Students Unit
The Sports Council
The Computing Centre
The Botanical Garden
The Zoological Garden
University Media Centre
The Abadina Media Resource Centre
The University Health Services