The Benefits of Recitation of Holy Qur’an
The Holy Qur’an is the most perfect message from God that was reviled to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). The Qur’an is the latest and last Holy Book that contains the teachings for human beings to gain eternal happiness. Therefore, it is the most perfect and most comprehensive book of all; and it has guided people throughout the history.
Before Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), the other prophets and their religious teachings were meant for a specific historical era. After that era, a new book and a new religion were needed so that people could move further towards perfection. But during the time of Prophet Muhammad, the last prophet of all, the Qur’an was revealed to him, so that people could achieve perfection by following its instructions.
Worldly Benefits of Recitation of the Holy Qur’an:
1. Fulfillment of supplication: Imam Sadiq (A.S) said, “When Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was asked who were the best among people, he answered, ‘those who start reciting the Qur’an and finish it. God will listen to the supplication of these people.’”
2.Fulfillment of Wishes: Imam Reza (A.S) said, “Imam Ali (A.S) believed that if you want your wishes to be fulfilled, you should get out of home early morning on a Thursday, and recite the verse of Al-e Imran called Ayat-Al-Korsi and the last verses of Al-Qadr and Hamd chapters. You will have all your wishes in regards to this world and the hereafter fulfilled.”
3. Earning Your Livelihood:
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “Bring light to your houses by reciting the Qur’an. Do not be like those who only say prayers in sacred places, while they never pray at home. If you recite the Qur’an at home, you will earn more in that house and light comes to that house. Just as a shining star.”
4. Prevention from Illnesses: The Qur’an heals one’s body and soul. That is why God says in the Qur’an, “We send down (stage by stage) in the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe: to the unjust it causes nothing but loss after loss.”
1. Forgiveness of Sins: Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “If one recites the Towhid chapter a hundred times before going to bed, God will forgive fifty years of his sins.”
2. Being Rewarded by God: Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, “Anyone who teaches his child to recite the holy Qur’an, will be rewarded as much as a person who has gone on pilgrimage to Kaba ten thousand times, has freed ten thousand slaves, has fought with the Prophet for ten thousand times, has fed ten thousand poor Muslims, and has provided them with clothes.”
3. Entering Heaven: Imam Sadiq (A.S) said, “Prophet Muhammad believed that the one who recites the holy Qur’an in young age, will be a rewarded with the companionship of angels. The holy Qur’an will save him from Hell in the hereafter.”
According to the brief explanations about the benefits of Qur’an, recitation of the holy Qur’an and acting in accordance to its commandments, has such a revolutionary effect on one’s body and soul that will make them beloved by people and by God, and will bring them happiness in this life and in the hereafter.
Translated by: Sadroddin Musawi