Lettuce is good for Health
Lettuce is one of the most delicate salad plants in this world, which is grown as a leafy vegetable. The vegetable is usually consumed as cold and raw, in salads, hamburgers, tacos and a number of other disheseing high in nutritional value, lettuce offers its users a number of health and nutrition benefits. To know more about them, let us check out the information provided in the following lines.
Nutritional Value of Lettuce
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100 gm of lettuce:
• Carbohydrates - 2.2 g
• Dietary Fiber - 1.1 g
• Fats - 0.2 g
• Protein - 1.4 g
• Water - 96 g
• Vitamin A - 166 ?g
• Folate (Vitamin B9) - 73 ?g
• Vitamin C - 4 mg
• Vitamin K - 24 ?g
• Iron - 1.2 mg
• Energy - 10 kcal (60 kJ)
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Lettuce
• Lettuce contains a substance called ‘lectucarium’ which has the ability to induce sleep. Thus lettuce is used in the treatment of insomnia. The effect of Lettuce juice is similar to tranquilizing effect of opium but the former lacks the accompanying excitement.
A mixture of lettuce juice and oil of roses, if applied to the temples and forehead, stimulates sleep in patients of insomnia and relieves head-ache.
• Lettuce contains rich quantities of iron and adds hemoglobin to the blood. It is used as an excellent tonic food for patients suffering from Anemia. The absorption of this iron, in the body is better and much more than that provided by iron tonics.
• Lettuce contains folic acid that helps in preventing Anemia all through pregnancy. Lettuce helps in the prevention of habitual abortions. It is said to influence the secretion and release of progesterone hormone that is responsible for lactation in feeding mothers.
• A mixture of spinach juice and lettuce juice helps in the growth of hair and provides strength to hair roots.
• Lettuce, being high in dietary fiber, aids digestion and is good for those suffering from constipation.
• Lettuce has been associated with reducing the risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke and cataracts. This mainly results from the presence of beta-carotene, the chief disease-fighting nutrient, in the salad.
• Since lettuce is pretty low in calories, it makes the perfect snack for those trying to lose weight.
• Lettuce has been associated with better liver health.
• Lettuce is believed to be quite beneficial for people who often suffer from the problem of nervous cough.
• The high magnesium content in lettuce makes it rich in reviving powers, in relation to muscular tissues, brain and the nerves.
• Those suffering from gastritis, gout, irritable bowel, obesity, stress, tuberculosis, ulcers and urinary tract diseases might benefit from the regular consumption of lettuce.
Walnuts, one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids
The Importance of Eating Carrots
Five Reasons to Eat Hazelnuts
Pears is a Hypo-allergenic Fruit
Health benefits of oranges
In addition to being the best source of lycopene available, tomatoes are rich in many essential nutrients. Learn the health benefits of tomatoes.Technically a fruit but legally classified as a vegetable, tomatoes offer many health benefits. Although ...
Mint (Minta Spacata) is a plant that has been long known in diverse cultures, such as India, Middle East and Europe, because of its rich aroma, soothing flavor and curative properties. It is ...
Avocados are a super-nutritious, wonderful food. They are actually a fruit and not a vegetable, and these delicious, creamy fruits have great benefits for health. In comparison with any other fruit, avocados contain more ...